Robb Zipp at Large

My name is Robb Zipp and I want to change your life for the better. I'm a 28 year old guy from Houston, Texas who is on the Executive Steering Committee of Democracy for Houston and I am an active member of the Harris County Young Democrats. This blog is a journal of my adventures in politics and what I think you can do to help make a difference.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Early voting adventure with Jim Henley

I interviewed Jim Henley at his campaign headquarters this afternoon and then I went to Lamar High School with him to load up some of his former students on his bus and go to an early voting location. It was the first time any of them had voted and it was really cool to see a group of young people getting involved in the political process. I remember my first time I voted. Things have changed a lot since then, and not for the better...

I didn't vote straight ticket Democrat. I voted for every Democrat on the ballot, but in races where a Republican was unopposed, I left it blank. In races where Republicans were being challenged by only a Libertarian, I voted for the Libertarian. I even wrote in a candidate from the Green Party by the name of Charles E. Waterbury. He was running for Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court against a Republicon and no Democrat was running. As a matter of fact, there were TONS of offices where Republicans were running unopposed. This really needs to change, and soon. There is no excuse for any Republican to not be challenged. If I were the Harris County Democratic Chairman, I'd make it my #1 goal to run a candidate for every office. The citizens of Harris County deserve that choice.

In other news, the Democracy for Houston Executive Steering Committee met last night and we discussed our next meeting in one week from today. I'm going to show a 20-30 minute video of highlights from my TV activism and then I'm going to do very quick interviews with each member that comes to the meeting. They'll tell everyone who they are, why they are involved, and what inspires them. I really like this idea because it gives us all a better chance to get to know each other and it gives the viewers a chance to see their fellow citizens who are involved in making this a better place. It also will show that I'm not the only one involved even though I've been the only person seen on the show!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home